On April 20, 2013 Hilo gathered at the Hilo Hawaiian Hotel to recognize architect Russell Oda, the 2013 Big Island Inductee to the Junior Achievement of Hawaii’s Business Hall of Fame.
This state-level recognition for Russ is well deserved as you’ll find his signature on distinctive buildings throughout the islands.
But to many here on the Big Island, and in Hilo specifically, Russ’ contributions run much deeper than the foundations of his buildings. He’s known for his leadership, his generosity, his humility and his sense of humor. This event served to make one of our own feel special for everything he’s done for our community over the past half century. (See pictures here)
Russ joins a distinguished group of Business Hall of Fame Laureates from Hawaii Island including:
· Robert M. Fujimoto, HPM Building Supply (1990)
· Allan K. Ikawa, Big Island Candies (1995)
· Jack Miyashiro, Jack’s Tours of Hilo (1997)
· Tony Taniguchi, KTA Super Stores (1998)
· Edward T. Fukuda, Kandi’s Drive Inn (2001)
· Richard S. Miyashiro, Café 100 (2002)
· David S. De Luz, Sr., David S. De Luz, Sr. Entreprises (2004)
· Harold Tanouye, Green Point Nurseries (2007)
· Richard Ha, Hamakua Springs Country Farms (2008)
· Herbert Monty Richards Jr., Kahua Ranch (2009)
· Barry K. Taniguchi, KTA Super Stores (2010)
· Richard Henderson, Entreprenuer & Former State Senator (2011)
· Ric Maiava & Debra Ching Maiava, Restaurateurs (2012)
If you know an outstanding role model in business and in the Big Island community, please contact us so we can consider them for nomination for a future Business Hall of Fame award.